.

.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Third Trimester = Gastric Bypass


So this happened a few days ago.  I've been dreading it/blocking it out for some time now because it causes flash backs to my third trimester with Caroline.  Heartburn.  No sleep.  Being starving and only able to eat a few bites of food.  Not being able to eat anything red, fried or made with butter.  Sounds a lot like Gastric Bypass, huh?  It's caused by a large baby literally sitting on your innards.  Don't get me wrong - being pregnant is loads of fun, but these last weeks aren't exactly my favorite.  Things are a little different this time around because my body has already been through this once before and is prepared to deliver.  Baby Smith is head down (and burrowing, I swear) and kicking like it's going out of style.  I think there's already some sibling rivalry going on because she loves to kick Caroline while I'm rocking her to sleep.  I think it's adorable, but Caroline thinks otherwise.  Aaaaah, aren't sisters fun? 

Although my handy dandy app tells me I have about 12 weeks left, I'm hoping for 9.  And if I'm hoping for 9, that means I better get my rear in gear!  Our plans are to move Caroline to her big girl room upstairs and do some minor changes to the nursery to get it ready for Baby E.  (Notice I called her Baby E.  I think we've chosen a name.  More on that in the future.)  I want to paint the nursery pink and add some pretty shades of green, such as this rocker/recliner fabric I just ordered:


I love it!  I was looking for something different and found it at the Baby's First Furniture store in the Woodlands.  They had a big grand opening and I braved the elements (50 degree weather) to be one of the first 100 people through the doors to receive a gift bag.  Not too shabby!  As I waded through hoards of first time parents, I decided that I need to market myself as a baby registry consultant.  Those poor suckers have no idea what to register for.  Cute sheets and crazy pillows?  No!  Save the money and get those totally bland looking mattress pads that'll save you from buying a new mattress when your kid pees through his diaper.  Pretty blankets with lace and fur?  No!  Baby puke doesn't come off of fur.  Get the cotton ones that can be soaked in OxyClean.  Really pretty Kate Spade diaper bag?  Put it back!  If it can't be thrown in the washing machine or isn't lined with plastic, you're wasting hundreds of dollars on something that will smell like rotting formula after 2 months of life.  I need to come up with a marketing pitch and start offering my services this fall.  ;)

Other than third trimester pains, things have been pretty sane here lately.  Caroline started dance/gymnastics and LOVES it.  She's in a class with 3 year olds so she's not as skilled as they are, but I'm satisfied if she has a good time and leaves with a smile on her face.  


We went to the Kingwood Library for the first time last week.  She loved it!  And by "it" I mean the touch screen computers that had games galore.  They had some pretty cool toddler games that kept her distracted while I picked up an arm full of books. Too bad she's not all that interested in her new books.  She still requests the same 3 at bedtime.  Pinky, Boots, and Duckies...Pinkalicious, Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?, and Fuzzy Yellow Ducklings.  She's going to be really good at retelling these books one day!  By the way, thanks to whoever is teaching her letters.  She knows a lot of them and it's not by our doing.  Elmo?  Mickey?  Ladies at the gym child care?  What 22 month old knows "Q" and U is for unicycle?  Our kid!


Another first - painting.  I picked up some finger paints at Target and decided to let Caroline give it a try.  She loves painting!  I had to teach her that it's more of a stroke and not a stab, but she picked up on the concept pretty quickly.  



She spent a great afternoon celebrating Leighton's birthday - she was all partied out!  She couldn't finish her "pop" and remained asleep as Luc carried her into the house...that never happens.


 Monday morning- I was getting ready and she crawled into our bed.  She asked me to snuggle with her.  How can I resist??  Needless to say, our Monday trip to HEB was delayed.


Her favorite toy in dad's garage - bicycle pump.  Nutty child.


Here's Caroline modeling her latest Grammy outfit from Kelly's Kids.  I love it!  I bought a matching bubble for Baby E.  They are going to be cute, well dressed sisters!


 We went to eat at the newly opened Lupe Tortilla on Tuesday night, only to find that the wait was over an hour long.  We hopped on over to Johnny's Carino's and Caroline ate pasta and smiled for an hour straight.  She loves her carbs!


Sunday night - Luc was trying to run some cables through the attic for our new security cameras.  The last thing I tell him before he heads upstairs is "don't fall through the ceiling".  Guess what I heard not 10 minutes later?  The sound of Luc falling through the ceiling.  My gut reaction was to get up to see if he was OK, but my actual reaction was to grab my phone so that I could call 911 if necessary...or take a picture.  911 wasn't needed, so I took a picture.  Actually, I took many pictures but the first 20 came out blurry because I was laughing so hard.  Thank goodness he wasn't hurt, but it sure did make for a good laugh!  Caroline walked into our bathroom the next morning and was shocked - "Uh oh.  Dada broke?"  Yes, Caroline.  Dada broke.  But Mommy got it fixed.  It looks good as new and we found a new sheet rock/painter to help us out in the future!



We're spending our Valentine's Day evening with my siblings and their spouses at a local restaurant while Grammy and Backe babysit the grandkids.  I'm looking forward to a nice evening out!  We're also going to a nice French restaurant on Saturday - THAT should be tasty. We'll see if I'm able to get some food down before Baby E rejects it.  ;)

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment